Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Nagios, FreeBSD, and Lilac

In the earlier post, I talked about setting up nconf on FreeBSD. I decided to give Fruity/Lilac a try. It's been around longer, anyway, and it supports imports of existing configs. It also can use nmap to generate a basic configuration.

Anyway, the rough steps are:

1. install mysql50-server

2. install apache22

3. install php5

4. install php5-extensions with the following modules enabled:

json, pcntl, posix, mysql, curl

5. install php5-pdo_mysql

6. install nmap

7. untar the lilac source to /usr/local/www/apache22/data/lilac

8. sudo chown www:www /usr/local/www/apache22/data/lilac/includes

9. restart apache.

Note: in order to get apache to work with php, I created a php config file in /usr/local/etc/apache22/Includes/php.conf:

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .htm .html
AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps

1 comment:

Arie said...

Hello there,

I'm a kind of a "newbi" to FreeBSD and Nagios but I've been working with them for a short while. The system I worked on also had Lilac installed on it and I used Lilac for all the configurations.

I am now trying to install Nagios and Lilac on a FreeBSD VM that I can take anywhere with me and just modify a few settings to make it work on each environment.

I've been searching for a complete documentation for the beginner on how to make everything work together and I followed a few of those that looked like they are the better once but nothing seemed to work for me.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help on that, however, I would greately appreciate any help I can get that would help me set my VM properly with working Nagios and Lilac.

I promise that when I'm done with it, I will post a full step-by-step guide for dummies so detailed that every person who comes across it, will be able to set up a FreeBSD, Nagios and Lilac and start working with them.

Thank you,
Arie